Thursday, January 10, 2013

Homemade Onion, Garlic and Honey Cough Syrup


When I was a little girl and if we had a bad cough,  I remember that my Dad used to make up some sort of terrible smelling salve like stuff that was made from lard and turpentine and some other stuff that scares me to death to think about applying to my chest nowadays!   We were then wrapped up with fabric across our chest with the salve rubbed into our chests.

Lately I have had a terrible cough that has been waking me up in the middle of the night. Since I don't particulary care for the smell of turpentine and since I don't want to go to bed with lard smeared on my chest, and since I am pretty sure that my husband doesn't want to share a bed with a turpentine smelling wife, I decided to go a different route!


Homemade Onion, Garlic and Honey Cough Syrup

One large onion (chopped or sliced, either way is fine)
two teaspoons of minced or chopped garlic
enough honey to cover the ingredients.

 Mix all of the ingredients together in a stainless steel pot and cook on low heat until the onions get that transparent look.

Allow to cool.


Drain off the onion and garlic and discard. Pour the honey into a glass jar. I refrigerate mine.

I had a tiny bit of ginger left over from where I had made some homemade ginger candy this past weekend, and I put that into the mixture too. I doubt there was enough to even speak of it, but I didn't want it to go to waste so I included it too. 

Of course, if this cough persists I will be heading to the doctor. Hopefully, this little concotion will help with that ugly cough that has been interrupting my sleep and my cherished husband will love me all the more for not coming to bed smelling of turpentine.  Onions, garlic and honey yes, but no turpentine!  And you know what? It doesn't taste all that bad! It doesn't taste that good either! But it's more tolerable than a cough that keeps you awake.

Do you have a favorite homemade remedy for a cough? I'd love to hear!

Warning and Disclaimer: Do not give this cough syrup to children under the age of two due to it containing honey. Any and all information contained herein is for informational purposes only and has not been approved by the FDA. This information is not intended to take the place of your healthcare provider's advice, treatment, or prescribed medication.  I am not a doctor, nurse, herbalist, practioner or educator of anykind whatsoever.  I intend to do no harm to anyone.  Use of any information contained herein is completely at your own risk and you agree to hold harmless and release this blog and anyone associated with this blog of any issues arising from any information contained herein. This includes, but is not limited to the blog owner, author of this blog, guest, blog party participants and commentors, etc. on this blog, Always, always, always use caution and do your own research and seek medical attention for any of your medical concerns.  
 
Shared on: Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop, Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways

UPDATE:  Many thanks to Deborah Jean's Dandelion House for featuring this post on Farm Girl Friday!! I hope you will stop by and visit Deborah Jean and say hello from Miss Thrifty Nifty!!!

9 comments:

  1. Never heard of this one! However, I know garlic is good warding off illness. I eat honey all the time! Looks very simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Antiquesgaloregal! Yes, very simple!Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. So my question is... did it work? Has it cleared up your cough?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually sounds kind of tasty anyway. :) I'm pinning this one since we've had near constant sore throats this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember being slathered up with Vicks and covered with a cloth on my chest, way different then the turnpentine, and much more comforting aroma I'll bet. This little concontion doesn't sound to bad, everything in it is good for you. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this cough syrup remedy. Like Faith said, everything in it is good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like something I could use. Thanks Candy for telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may have to try this. It looks like a natural cough syrup for a sore throat. My wife is allergic to any artificial flavors, so hopefully this will help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that it is of help to her! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete