Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How I Make Homemade Violet Syrup






 

Don't you just love the perky little violets flowers that come forth in the springtime? Each year I try to gather the flower petals for making my violet syrup

Violet syrup can be used as a topping on ice cream, pancakes, cakes, use in making a violet spritzer and many other awesome things! I love to use it to sweeten my tea. 

Here's how I made my violet syrup!



 

 Find yourself a nice patch of violets that are free from chemicals. Make sure that you consume wild violets ONLY if you are positive of its identification.  NEVER EVER consume any plant or flowers unless you are absolutely positive that they are properly identified and are safe for consumption.  Then only consume a small portion of violets  at first just in case that you may have an unknown allergy.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS  be safe!

 



 Gather about a cup of the pretty violet flowers.





 
Go thru the flowers and remove the petals from the green portion that holds the petals.
 



 
Discard the green portion that you removed the petals from.
 
 
 


 



Rinse the petals and place them in a sterile jar. Cover the cup of petals with one cup of boiled distilled water.  Place the sterilized lid on the jar and allow the petals to infuse the water for 24 hours.

 
 
 
Strain thru a mesh strainer and reserve the infused liquid and discard the petals.




Now you have a beautiful purple violet infused liquid. Place the liquid in a heavy bottom non-reactive pan.





Quarter a fresh lemon and over a mesh strainer add a little bit of lemon juice a bit at a time.



You can see that once the lemon is added the liquid begins to turn from purple to magenta.  Continue adding lemon juice a little at a time  (about a tsp. at a time).



Add one to one and a half cups of sugar to the liquid. Stir all of the sugar into the liquid and allow to come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and allow to cook for about ten minutes or until the liquid has thickened.  It will thicken more as it cools.

Pour the violet syrup into a sterilized jar and place the sterilized lid on the jar.   Store in the refrigerator.  If you want to give the syrup a water bath you can do this now.  I use my violet syrup up quickly and so I just allow it to cool and then place it in my refrigerator where I use it up in a few days to a week.  If you need it to last longer please research how to preserve your syrup.




Make sure that you research food safety in all of your food preparations.  If you want to can the syrup research and you should find the proper methods and instructions for doing so. 



Remember the lemons?  Save those peelings by throwing them in a freezer bag and place them in the freezer.   You can use those in another upcoming project!

Enjoy your violet syrup as a sweetner for tea, to make violet spritzers, drizzled over ice cream, cupcakes, cake, pancakes and many other ways!

The violet syrup and ginger syrup are two staples that I try to keep on hand.  You can learn how I make my ginger syrup and also how I make crystallized ginger candy  here.

I was inspired by Fresh Eggs Daily, who linked in previously with Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways.  Her post about making her violet syrup reminded me that I should get out there to gather my violets before they were gone!

Linking in with:  Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways Farmgirl Friday Blog Hop
Share Your Creations at Bouquet of Talent

 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting! I didn't know violets could be used this way. They grow everywhere here! Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Antiques Galore! Let me know if you try the syrup! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I will have to try the lemon next time. I have been drinking violet and rose 'soda' all spring - a bit of syrup, some club soda and ice cubes. So glad you tried it.
    Lisa
    Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used it to top our vanilla ice cream and I also used some with lemonade. I usually make violet syrup every year. I was late gathering the violets this and did not have near as much as I normally would have. And had I not seen your post to remind me I may not have been in time to gather any at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this. My violets are done blooming for this year so I will have to save it until next spring!

    Thanks for adding it to this week's Our Simple Homestead Hop!
    http://oursimplelife-sc.com/our-simple-homestead-blog-hop-2/

    ReplyDelete