Thursday, December 18, 2014

Momma's Simple Old Fashion Homemade Strawberry Preserves



Momma's Simple Old Fashion Strawberry Preserves
Yield: Approximately 3 cups
1 1/2 - 2 Cups of Sugar
3 One Pint Containers of Strawberries (washed and hulled)
1 - 2 tsp. lemon juice
Place hulled strawberries in heavy large saucepan and mash only coarsely. Stirring frequently, cook strawberries over medium heat until beginning to thicken, around 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Add sugar (a bit at a time) and the lemon juice, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium and boil gently until the mixture thickens and mounds on the spoon, continuing to stir frequently, about 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool in the refrigerator.
Refrigerate in a sterile airtight container, seal, label and keep in the refrigerator. Momma said that we needed to eat them within one week.  Now, I am not sure about how long they really would last without putting them thru the canning process but we always did what Momma said was best and so we were happy to oblige and eat them up in a week's time! In fact, I think there were probably times that we ate them even sooner than the week!  

I think I just might be making my sister some of these preserves for Christmas. Great Gift in a Jar Idea! And they will bring back good memories for my sister too!   Seems to me that I remember that she used to love to put this on her ice cream.

Have a blessed day and happy preserve making!

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing like strawberry jam!! Thank you for sharing your sweet family recipe. I am sure you can also freeze some to prolong it (if you had the willpower :)

    Thank you for sharing on the Art of Home-Making Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it would freeze well too Jess. It just never lasts long around our house! Thank you for hosting Art of Home-Making Mondays! I always enjoy everyone's links!

      Delete